So many pending results of linux!

Advanced search

Message boards : Cafe Docking : So many pending results of linux!

Sort
Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

ID: 15
Credit: 56,614
RAC: 0
Message 1549 - Posted 21 Nov 2006 15:01:23 UTC

When I checked a page on which pending results of mine are listed, I found...doh, 34 results are being pended!:o Also every result is crunched on linux... Some are waiting for sending back of crunched results on other hosts, others are waiting for distributing of the other results ie results are 'unsent', some of which have even 2 unsent results.

C'mon guys, please crunch on linux more! ...lol

suguruhirahara

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1585 - Posted 22 Nov 2006 14:10:42 UTC

<Update>
The oldest pending result is this one . While it was issued a week ago, there is one result unsent ( 48236 ). I don't know why it isn't sent though further results have been done already... Doesn't the server distribute results in order of creation date?

thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

ID: 1
Credit: 15,199
Message 1587 - Posted 22 Nov 2006 15:41:25 UTC - in response to Message ID 1585 .

That last unsent result is still waiting for a machine in the shared memory segment (just checked). It has a fairly high infeasible_count which means the server should assign it as one of the first one. Let's wait a little bit more to see if it gets assigned. Of course not all the new linux crunchers new about the ulimit fix, so there were many 'error 1' results sent back for a while.

Andre

<Update>
The oldest pending result is this one . While it was issued a week ago, there is one result unsent ( 48236 ). I don't know why it isn't sent though further results have been done already... Doesn't the server distribute results in order of creation date?

thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

Volunteer tester

ID: 115
Credit: 1,634,401
Message 1588 - Posted 22 Nov 2006 23:07:52 UTC - in response to Message ID 1549 .

When I checked a page on which pending results of mine are listed, I found...doh, 34 results are being pended!:o Also every result is crunched on linux... Some are waiting for sending back of crunched results on other hosts, others are waiting for distributing of the other results ie results are 'unsent', some of which have even 2 unsent results.

C'mon guys, please crunch on linux more! ...lol

suguruhirahara

I think the situation is amplified by the separate work unit assignment based on processor. My main Linux cruncher is AMD and yours seems to be Intel, so they can't work on the same work units. I'm still trying to get my RHEL3 machine, which is an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz, to work. It would be interesting to see how many Linux machines are participating and a breakdown by whether they're Intel or AMD.

Also, here in the US, it's a big holiday week. A lot of people are traveling and many offices have only a few people working. A lot of crunching machines are probably turned off until Monday.

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1594 - Posted 23 Nov 2006 0:48:35 UTC - in response to Message ID 1588 .

It would be interesting to see how many Linux machines are participating and a breakdown by whether they're Intel or AMD.

Good idea. Let me see how easy it is to get something on a web page.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Andre

Volunteer tester

Message 1609 - Posted 25 Nov 2006 9:59:23 UTC - in response to Message ID 1587 .

That last unsent result is still waiting for a machine in the shared memory segment (just checked). It has a fairly high infeasible_count which means the server should assign it as one of the first one. Let's wait a little bit more to see if it gets assigned. Of course not all the new linux crunchers new about the ulimit fix, so there were many 'error 1' results sent back for a while.

Andre

<Update>

thanks for reading,
suguruhirahara

After all the oldest result is gone, but it's with "too many error results"...:(

I'm a volunteer participant; my views are not necessarily those of Docking@Home or its participating institutions.
Profile Keck_Komputers
Volunteer tester

ID: 20
Credit: 1,263,209
Message 1610 - Posted 25 Nov 2006 10:54:18 UTC - in response to Message ID 1587 .

[quote] Of course not all the new linux crunchers new about the ulimit fix, so there were many 'error 1' results sent back for a while.

Andre

[quote]
I know about the ulimit fix. I have not applied it since I thought that was something that needed to be fixed by the project. So I have been letting my new linux host burn through the work so I would know when it was fixed.

Should I go ahead and do it or wait for the real fix?

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1615 - Posted 25 Nov 2006 18:06:31 UTC - in response to Message ID 1610 .

Hi John,

If you can please put the fix in. The real fix might take a while (we haven't found a good solution yet). We'll put it on our news feed when it comes out so you will easily be able to spot it (I assume that people subscribe to RSS news feeds when they are attached to projects).

Thanks,
Andre

I know about the ulimit fix. I have not applied it since I thought that was something that needed to be fixed by the project. So I have been letting my new linux host burn through the work so I would know when it was fixed.

Should I go ahead and do it or wait for the real fix?

Message 1620 - Posted 26 Nov 2006 0:04:49 UTC - in response to Message ID 1615 .

Hi John,

If you can please put the fix in. The real fix might take a while (we haven't found a good solution yet). We'll put it on our news feed when it comes out so you will easily be able to spot it (I assume that people subscribe to RSS news feeds when they are attached to projects).

Thanks,
Andre

Ok it's in (I hope).

BOINCing since 2002/12/8
Profile Conan
Volunteer tester

ID: 100
Credit: 4,256,493
Message 1640 - Posted 28 Nov 2006 22:44:33 UTC

> At last count I had 69 WU's pending, only 5 were for Windows all the rest are for my Linux machines and a number show I am the only one with the WU and no others have been sent out yet, some date back to the 18-20th Nov.
At least the Windows machines are keeping my credit ticking over.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1650 - Posted 29 Nov 2006 4:38:58 UTC - in response to Message ID 1640 .

From looking at these workunits it seems that many of our new users that got accounts by accident haven't put in the ulimit fix and that causes them to fail with code 1 anytime they are crunching a docking. I will put out a news item asking everybody to put this on their machines if they can. That's all we can do for now I'm afraid.

Andre

PS If only everybody would be running SuSE Linux, we wouldn't be experiencing this problem ;-)

> At last count I had 69 WU's pending, only 5 were for Windows all the rest are for my Linux machines and a number show I am the only one with the WU and no others have been sent out yet, some date back to the 18-20th Nov.

ID: 23
Credit: 30,370
Message 1651 - Posted 29 Nov 2006 4:51:16 UTC
Last modified: 29 Nov 2006 4:52:37 UTC

In the future, it also might not be a bad idea to automatically send this info to new users when they first sign up.

PS - When I finally get around to installing Linux on my system, I'll take that SuSE comment under advisement ;)

From looking at these workunits it seems that many of our new users that got accounts by accident haven't put in the ulimit fix and that causes them to fail with code 1 anytime they are crunching a docking. I will put out a news item asking everybody to put this on their machines if they can. That's all we can do for now I'm afraid.

Andre

PS If only everybody would be running SuSE Linux, we wouldn't be experiencing this problem ;-)

Profile Keck_Komputers
Volunteer tester

Message 1656 - Posted 29 Nov 2006 7:51:37 UTC - in response to Message ID 1620 .

Ok it's in (I hope).

Looks like I did it right. One task with granted, one pending, and one still running.

BOINCing since 2002/12/8
Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1658 - Posted 29 Nov 2006 14:01:24 UTC - in response to Message ID 1656 .

Cool :-)

Ok it's in (I hope).

Looks like I did it right. One task with granted, one pending, and one still running.

ID: 100
Credit: 4,256,493
Message 1661 - Posted 30 Nov 2006 9:19:43 UTC - in response to Message ID 1650 .

Andre

Thanks Andre, I mentioned it because it is slowing the return of results back to your project. The oldest pending is now about 10 days old.
It is a Linux thing as the number of my pending jobs has now hit 100 and only about half a dozen are for my Windows machines.
The other curious thing is the fact that not all 3 quorum have been sent out, even on results from around the 20-22 Nov, often only the 1 WU has been sent out and not the other 2 that make up the initial quorum.

Message 1662 - Posted 30 Nov 2006 10:06:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 1661 .

The other curious thing is the fact that not all 3 quorum have been sent out, even on results from around the 20-22 Nov, often only the 1 WU has been sent out and not the other 2 that make up the initial quorum.

Even the workunit created half a month ago doesn't make up the quorum, because of 1 unsent result ( this workunit ).

When is it expected to sent the result to a host? or what prevents the server from distributing it?

thanks,
suguruhirahara

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1665 - Posted 30 Nov 2006 14:50:11 UTC

Grouping the P-II and P-III machines in with AMD processors should help. My Linux machine is AMD and it has a lot of pending results as well. Also, getting the P-II and P-III out of the intel pool should prevent some of those WU from erroring out because of failing to validate.

OTOH, the fact that the P-II and P-III machines can be grouped in with the AMD processors probably means that the newer instructions aren't being used in the AMD processors so the more recent and powerful AMD processors are running in an inefficient mode.

Does Docking@Home use the Intel compilers? IIRC, those check for Intel processors at runtime and don't use some of the optimizations if it's not an Intel processor. I don't know if that's still the case. I seem to remember that there was a patch to fix that behavior.

See this comp.arch thread.

See this comp.lang.fortran thread on the subject.

-- David

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1669 - Posted 1 Dec 2006 4:05:28 UTC - in response to Message ID 1665 .

David,
We use the Intel Fortran and C compilers for Linux and Intel Mac. We have experimented with many parameters and parameter combinations to see if we could get our results similar on the different platforms. I must admit that we are not compiler experts, but we haven't had a lot of luck up to now. If there are any experts on floating point behavior and compiler remedies out there, please step forward :-) Therefore we are still stuck with using HR and have started to look at possibilities from that side; putting the PII's and III's in the AMD processor group is a first step.

Thanks
Andre

Grouping the P-II and P-III machines in with AMD processors should help. My Linux machine is AMD and it has a lot of pending results as well. Also, getting the P-II and P-III out of the intel pool should prevent some of those WU from erroring out because of failing to validate.

OTOH, the fact that the P-II and P-III machines can be grouped in with the AMD processors probably means that the newer instructions aren't being used in the AMD processors so the more recent and powerful AMD processors are running in an inefficient mode.

Does Docking@Home use the Intel compilers? IIRC, those check for Intel processors at runtime and don't use some of the optimizations if it's not an Intel processor. I don't know if that's still the case. I seem to remember that there was a patch to fix that behavior.

See this comp.arch thread.

See this comp.lang.fortran thread on the subject.

-- David

Volunteer tester

Message 1673 - Posted 1 Dec 2006 13:00:44 UTC - in response to Message ID 1669 .

David,
We use the Intel Fortran and C compilers for Linux and Intel Mac. We have experimented with many parameters and parameter combinations to see if we could get our results similar on the different platforms. I must admit that we are not compiler experts, but we haven't had a lot of luck up to now. If there are any experts on floating point behavior and compiler remedies out there, please step forward :-) Therefore we are still stuck with using HR and have started to look at possibilities from that side; putting the PII's and III's in the AMD processor group is a first step.

Thanks
Andre

That discussion took place in 2004 and was for version 8.0 of the compiler. I don't know if Intel still does that in their runtime, but what it basically did was use the cpuid instruction to look for the Intel copyright and turn off using sse and sse2 if it didn't find it. If they still do that, it probably means you're running some very un-optimized code on AMD CPU's. CPU-Z says that even my Socket 754 Sempron 3100+ supports MMX(+),3DNow!(+),SEE,SSE2,SSE3,X86-64.

Here's a patch from comp.arch in 2004 to fix that.

The best place to find out what's really happening and ask questions is probably in usenet groups comp.lang.fortran , comp.compilers , and comp.arch . They can probably help you with a lot of the problems you're having. Some of the people in those groups are actual CPU or Compiler architects.

One other good source of optimization is the Rosetta Message boards. You might sneak over there and do the following search in the message boards.

Intel Fortran Compiler

At least one person from Intel posts there and gives some real insight into the optimization and internal CPU architecture. There are also some mystery machines attached that turn out to be engineering samples and show up as such once Intel announces them. Until then, the computers are hidden.

-- David

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1746 - Posted 10 Dec 2006 7:29:49 UTC

Hello,

The workunit I mentioned 20 days before has an unsent result yet, though it was created a month ago. I assume because homogeneous redundancy was implemented the result should be sent to another host soon. But it isn't, and the number of pending results of mine stays almost same.

What makes it impossible to sent the results? because of lack of linux hosts?

suguruhirahara

Profile David Ball
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1748 - Posted 10 Dec 2006 11:57:09 UTC - in response to Message ID 1746 .

Hello,

The workunit I mentioned 20 days before has an unsent result yet, though it was created a month ago. I assume because homogeneous redundancy was implemented the result should be sent to another host soon. But it isn't, and the number of pending results of mine stays almost same.

What makes it impossible to sent the results? because of lack of Linux hosts?

suguruhirahara

I just looked through the first 300+ of the top computers and found only about 3 other people with Linux machines that are P4 or above. These are the other machines that could take the same work unit as your Pentium-D, due to HR. I'm not sure where a Pentium-M falls. IIRC, you, Memo, and Leonardo seem to account for most of that HR group, except for machines that were above 300 in the list and only had a RAC of less than 10 cobblestones. Some of those might be machines that are just coming online and will start to help out.

The rest of the Linux machines I saw were P-III or AMD, which are grouped together for HR. There were quite a few of these, but I have noticed that my Sempron machine seems to be paired with one of Conan's machines on most work units. There are a lot of Windows machines, and more Macs than I expected. Linux/P4+ may actually be the smallest HR group, from what I saw.

Hope this helps,

-- David
Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1749 - Posted 10 Dec 2006 12:38:21 UTC - in response to Message ID 1748 .

Hello,

What makes it impossible to sent the results? because of lack of Linux hosts?

suguruhirahara

I just looked through the first 300+ of the top computers and found only about 3 other people with Linux machines that are P4 or above. These are the other machines that could take the same work unit as your Pentium-D, due to HR. I'm not sure where a Pentium-M falls. IIRC, you, Memo, and Leonardo seem to account for most of that HR group, except for machines that were above 300 in the list and only had a RAC of less than 10 cobblestones. Some of those might be machines that are just coming online and will start to help out.

The rest of the Linux machines I saw were P-III or AMD, which are grouped together for HR. There were quite a few of these, but I have noticed that my Sempron machine seems to be paired with one of Conan's machines on most work units. There are a lot of Windows machines, and more Macs than I expected. Linux/P4+ may actually be the smallest HR group, from what I saw.

Hope this helps,

-- David

Thanks for info, david:) Also I feel that the number of active hosts on linux seems so low that the project needs to wait for more hosts.

Profile Andre Kerstens
Forum moderator
Project tester
Volunteer tester

Message 1753 - Posted 10 Dec 2006 20:05:52 UTC - in response to Message ID 1749 .

Thanks for info, david:) Also I feel that the number of active hosts on linux seems so low that the project needs to wait for more hosts.

We actually have/had quite a bit of Linux machines connected (216 total), but only 117 of these have a total credit > 0. Of these 51 are Intel and 66 AMD/PII/III. I'm a bit puzzled why not more Linux machines are getting work, since there seem to be enough of these. Maybe the shared memory is much more filled with windows/mac machines than Linux machines.

Regarding Suguru's pending credit: since that workunit is way past it's deadline already, I'm not sure if that unsend result will ever be sent out by BOINC; we'll have to find a way of assigning credit in such cases I guess.

Thanks
Andre
Volunteer tester

Message 1755 - Posted 11 Dec 2006 11:22:13 UTC - in response to Message ID 1753 .

We actually have/had quite a bit of Linux machines connected (216 total), but only 117 of these have a total credit > 0. Of these 51 are Intel and 66 AMD/PII/III. I'm a bit puzzled why not more Linux machines are getting work, since there seem to be enough of these. Maybe the shared memory is much more filled with windows/mac machines than Linux machines.

I think though the hosts have got workunits they could complete crunching none of them due to the 0x1 error and as a result this project was suspended / detached. Probably.

Regarding Suguru's pending credit: since that workunit is way past it's deadline already, I'm not sure if that unsend result will ever be sent out by BOINC; we'll have to find a way of assigning credit in such cases I guess.

Since the status of the result isn't inactive but 'unsent', which means "the result is ready to send, but hasn't been sent yet", I just think that the result actually exists on the server. Am I missing something?

PS whether credits will be granted to the pending results is not important for me. I just don't want to see the same results pended in the list forever. Is there any way to produce and send them out manually?

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1849 - Posted 22 Dec 2006 9:26:12 UTC

10 days have past from the last post here, so let me tell you what's going.

Several pended workunits actually are producing another replica whose ID is relatively new, but others are not. How will the abandoned workunits be?

suguruhirahara

Profile suguruhirahara
Forum moderator
Volunteer tester

Message 1974 - Posted 7 Jan 2007 4:40:13 UTC

To update and keep this topic alive:

Gradually replica of the old workunits are being sent out, and the number of pending results is decreasing:)

Message boards : Cafe Docking : So many pending results of linux!

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#31 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(84) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=111"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#31 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(84) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "111"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "3"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(2) "15"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(33) "So many pending results of linux!"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1168144813"
        ["views"]=>
        string(4) "1478"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(2) "25"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(19) "2.156860231972e-126"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1164121283"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "111"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "3"