Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : The ideal BOINC computer

Sort
Derek

ID: 43395
Credit: 1,505,422
RAC: 0
Message 6574 - Posted 25 Feb 2012 6:38:22 UTC

I want to contribute in a big way to BOINC projects, like docking@home along with Rosetta@home etc.

I am wondering, I've tried asking this question on other message boards having to do with computers, but no one is willing to help.

What kind of computer would be IDEAL, I mean high powered, on steroids processing of Data able to handle dozens if not hundreds of batches a day?

I've thought about building a custom computer with SBC's attached to a main circuit power board or "back plane" as someone in a forum put it, and maybe racking up about 6-7 CPU's housed on these SBC's as Dual CPU SBCs. So I'd have about 3-4 SBC's for a grand total of 6-8 CPU's all working on conjunction. I know it's possible to build such a custom beauty of a machine for processing Data, and I know I DON'T have to have a bachelors in electronic engineering to do so. But what I want to know is if that is the ideal thing to do.

What I basically want to do is build a monster computer, a veritable mini-super computer, for the good of science, the BOINC community and humankind in general.

I need real help though knowing if that is what I should do, or if there is a way to upgrade my current computer dramatically and not blow a motherboard.

I'm also a complete novice.

SO yeah. Tough. I know. But a good start would be explaining to me the differences in processors.
Here's my specs:
AMD FX-4100 Quad core processor, 3600 Mhz, 4 cores, 4 logical processors

AMD Radeon HD 6670 (GPU)
16 GB of virtual memory
8 GB of Ram

What do I need to upgrade and how could I do it to turn my desktop into a beast with an appetite for BOINC workunits like the event horizon of a blackhole?

user555

ID: 55275
Credit: 470,010
Message 6773 - Posted 7 Jul 2012 3:54:48 UTC - in response to Message ID 6574 .

I want to contribute in a big way to BOINC projects, like docking@home along with Rosetta@home etc.

I am wondering, I've tried asking this question on other message boards having to do with computers, but no one is willing to help.

What kind of computer would be IDEAL, I mean high powered, on steroids processing of Data able to handle dozens if not hundreds of batches a day?

I've thought about building a custom computer with SBC's attached to a main circuit power board or "back plane" as someone in a forum put it, and maybe racking up about 6-7 CPU's housed on these SBC's as Dual CPU SBCs. So I'd have about 3-4 SBC's for a grand total of 6-8 CPU's all working on conjunction. I know it's possible to build such a custom beauty of a machine for processing Data, and I know I DON'T have to have a bachelors in electronic engineering to do so. But what I want to know is if that is the ideal thing to do.

What I basically want to do is build a monster computer, a veritable mini-super computer, for the good of science, the BOINC community and humankind in general.

I need real help though knowing if that is what I should do, or if there is a way to upgrade my current computer dramatically and not blow a motherboard.

I'm also a complete novice.

SO yeah. Tough. I know. But a good start would be explaining to me the differences in processors.
Here's my specs:
AMD FX-4100 Quad core processor, 3600 Mhz, 4 cores, 4 logical processors

AMD Radeon HD 6670 (GPU)
16 GB of virtual memory
8 GB of Ram

What do I need to upgrade and how could I do it to turn my desktop into a beast with an appetite for BOINC workunits like the event horizon of a blackhole?

Actually, you should probably consider a six core processor as a CPU. They can be just as inexpensive as a quad core (even though inexpensive wasn't one of your criteria). Here's a good example:

http://x2t.com/6core

Match that with a decent GPU and I think you'd have a good machine.

I was thinking more about the SBC idea even before I saw your post here. Something like the Raspberry PI only costs $35, and you could buy about 10-12 for the cost of a full blown 4-6 core CPU, MB and RAM. Stack those in a frame of some type, wire them to a regular power supply (hack the connectors), and run Linux and manage them either just by the shell (ssh) or webmin. I think the power efficiency would be greater, but don't know what kind of crunching power they would produce.

The Raspberry runs at 700MHz and has a VideoCore IV GPU. I don't know how well BOINC would play with the GPU, but you could start a project with just one computer and keep adding on.

http://x2t.com/boinc
Profile TheFiend

ID: 9482
Credit: 20,705,527
Message 6774 - Posted 7 Jul 2012 4:32:12 UTC
Last modified: 7 Jul 2012 4:41:40 UTC

In the bygone days of SETI Classic I used to run a stack of 4 barebone motherboard/CPU/Ram/HD with 2 PSU's powering the stack. In addition I also had 8 desktop systems and managed them using KVM switches and RealVNC.

The advent of multicore CPU's means I now run less systems I'm now down to 3 of which only 1 currently runs 24/7.

I have also succumbed to GPU crunching and currently run a GTX460 and GTX550Ti on GPUGRID in addition to Docking.

@Derek..... If you swapped your FX4100 for an old school Phenom II Quad or Hex core you would get a fair bit higher RAC, The Bulldozers are not a brilliant CPU for crunching, the 6 Core Phenom II outperform the 8 core Bulldozers.

Derek

ID: 43395
Credit: 1,505,422
Message 7008 - Posted 4 Jan 2013 11:23:16 UTC - in response to Message ID 6774 .

In the bygone days of SETI Classic I used to run a stack of 4 barebone motherboard/CPU/Ram/HD with 2 PSU's powering the stack. In addition I also had 8 desktop systems and managed them using KVM switches and RealVNC.

The advent of multicore CPU's means I now run less systems I'm now down to 3 of which only 1 currently runs 24/7.

I have also succumbed to GPU crunching and currently run a GTX460 and GTX550Ti on GPUGRID in addition to Docking.

@Derek..... If you swapped your FX4100 for an old school Phenom II Quad or Hex core you would get a fair bit higher RAC, The Bulldozers are not a brilliant CPU for crunching, the 6 Core Phenom II outperform the 8 core Bulldozers.

Alright, I was actually thinking of upgrading to this:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-FX-8350-Vishera-8Core-CPU-Review/?page=10

What do you think?
And what does RAC mean? And you really think the older Phenom II would be better than this Vishera 8 core or what I have now?
Profile TheFiend

ID: 9482
Credit: 20,705,527
Message 7009 - Posted 4 Jan 2013 12:53:00 UTC

Go old skool... A hex core Phenom II is a great CPU for Docking... I have 2 and both are in the top 10 in total credit. Search around for a 1090T or 1100T.

They perform better than the 8 core FX CPU's and can overclock to about 4GHz.

Message boards : Number crunching : The ideal BOINC computer

Database Error
: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(47) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/db_conn.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(97)
    ["function"]=>
    string(8) "do_query"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#10 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(66) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(1) {
      [0]=>
      &string(51) "update DBNAME.thread set views=views+1 where id=641"
    }
  }
  [1]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(48) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/inc/forum_db.inc"
    ["line"]=>
    int(60)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(6) "DbConn"
    ["object"]=>
    object(DbConn)#10 (2) {
      ["db_conn"]=>
      resource(66) of type (mysql link persistent)
      ["db_name"]=>
      string(7) "docking"
    }
    ["type"]=>
    string(2) "->"
    ["args"]=>
    array(3) {
      [0]=>
      object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
        ["id"]=>
        string(3) "641"
        ["forum"]=>
        string(1) "2"
        ["owner"]=>
        string(5) "43395"
        ["status"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["title"]=>
        string(24) "The ideal BOINC computer"
        ["timestamp"]=>
        string(10) "1357303980"
        ["views"]=>
        string(3) "260"
        ["replies"]=>
        string(1) "4"
        ["activity"]=>
        string(22) "3.2352567255169995e-32"
        ["sufferers"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["score"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["votes"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["create_time"]=>
        string(10) "1330151901"
        ["hidden"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["sticky"]=>
        string(1) "0"
        ["locked"]=>
        string(1) "0"
      }
      [1]=>
      &string(6) "thread"
      [2]=>
      &string(13) "views=views+1"
    }
  }
  [2]=>
  array(7) {
    ["file"]=>
    string(63) "/boinc/projects/docking/html_v2/user/community/forum/thread.php"
    ["line"]=>
    int(184)
    ["function"]=>
    string(6) "update"
    ["class"]=>
    string(11) "BoincThread"
    ["object"]=>
    object(BoincThread)#3 (16) {
      ["id"]=>
      string(3) "641"
      ["forum"]=>
      string(1) "2"